Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gangster Squad

Oh yessss!!!!
 
 
 
My first Movie: Gangster Squad. I love era based movies, combines my love of history and art. So me and two others painted the end credits for the Movie. We took pre-existing cards that were extended to fit HD screen ratio. Most of cards were designed by the Western Publishing & Novelty Co. I really had a good time on this project.  One of the cool things was these cards used the moire pattern of dots to make up the design of the cards, which made it alittle difficult in extending. Had to keep all those dots lined up. Here are a few of the cards that I worked on. Once I get the work from the client I'll show you the comparison of how much we changed. Until then enjoy these.
 
Before


After
 

Before
 
After
 


This one the ChinaTown card was my favorite I had to extend it so much and take out all the cars except for the center one. Really enjoyed how it came out.

 
Before
 
After
 



Before
 
After
 


 
Extended this card but they replaced it for some reason. Oh well.
 
 
Before
 

After

Before
 
 
After


I started the Grauman Chiense Theatre one but it was on the end of the project and they moved me to a Microsoft Job that we were starting. My friend Rueben Corona finished the card. He did a great job.
 
 
Enjoy and Cheers!!

 

 
 


6 comments:

RuBa said...

Have just watched the movie and was fascinated by the end credit artwork, so had a quick google, not really expecting much and found your site. The work you did is really stunning and set the tone for the most interesting end credits I've seen. Thank you.
Ruth.
Berkshire, England.

Brad Sutton said...

Hey Ruth

Thanks for your awesome comments. Yeah I really enjoyed working on this project - also because I'm from the Los Angeles area and work here, a lot of the locations are familiar. You'd be amazed how many times those end credits changed, I think we had 5-6 versions.
Cheers!
Brad Sutton

Unknown said...

Hey man
I just finished Gangster Squad and I was super impressed by the end credits, I was glad to see that even in a hugely commercial film like this there was still a tonne of effort put into the credit's scene! Anyways awesome job my friend hope to see more in the future!
Pete

Brad Sutton said...

Hey Pete

Thanks for the compliments, Yeah you'd be surprised by how many different versions those end credits went though. They were fun to do too, having lived in the LA area all my life I know most of those locations.

Unknown said...

Hi Brad,

The illustrations are fantastic!

In fact, they are exactly what I need for my wedding invites...could you give me a quote please?

Thanks!

Manuela

Suttonillustrations said...

hi Manuela

email me and we can discuss what you had in mind.
Suttonillustrations@gmail.com